10 Tips For Sticking to Your Diet While on Vacation

10 tips for sticking to your diet while on vacation

This post may contain affiliate links which give me a small commission at no extra cost to you, and helps keep this content free! 

We decided about about 2 weeks ago that we wanted to go on a vacation soon. We love planning spur of the moment vacations and this time is no exception. We are leaving this Sunday for San Diego for 5 days and I can’t wait!  I absolutely LOVE to travel!

However, sometimes it’s tricky to stay on track while traveling.  You don’t have your own kitchen and food and you’re forced to eat out almost every meal.  There are several options you can follow while traveling, you just need to figure out what will work best for you!

  • You can track your macros perfectly (or at least the best you can)
  • Loosely track but be ok with the fact that you may go over a little bit
  • Be mindful of what you’re eating and make good choices but don’t track at all
  • Have a free for all and eat whatever you want.

There is no wrong way however, if you follow the free for all, you might have a harder time getting back on track after the vacation is over and the possibility of gaining weight is pretty high. I am going with the third option of being mindful and making good choices but not really tracking what I eat.  I will still try to get in a lot of protein and drink lots of water.  I want to enjoy my vacation since they don’t come around often enough, but I also don’t want to feel like complete crap the entire time.

Read more

How to Keep Flexible Dieting Flexible

Keep Flexible Dieting Flexible

This post may contain affiliate links which give me a small commission at no extra cost to you, and helps keep this content free! 

I firmly believe if a diet isn’t sustainable you won’t stick to it.  How long can you really go with no carbs or no sugar?  I know I didn’t last long on either of those.  A week….Maybe??  Then I felt so miserable, I gave in and ate everything in my house.

If you are too uptight about your diet, you won’t be able to stick with it no matter how good of a diet it is and believe it or not, that INCLUDES counting macros!  There is a time and place to be super strict on your diet.  For me, I was super duper strict for the first 9-10 months.  I had a cheat meal once a week and I had non-tracking days on holidays only but other than that, I was 100%.  And I needed that at first.  It really worked for me while I was first starting and learning. But now that I know everything I do about flexible dieting and my body, I know I can be a little more lenient.  I am not seeing results as fast, but it’s also more sustainable for me and my lifestyle.  I am still very good at hitting my macros but if we are at a bbq or a business dinner, or something unplanned comes up,  I don’t freak out. I live life in that moment and get right back on track the second that moment is over.  I don’t let myself stay off track for long and that is the key.  You can have times where you don’t count or days where you are feeling extra hungry and want to eat everything, but you better get right back on track the next meal or day.  There is no starting on Monday and binging through the weekend.  That’s when things start to get bad.  Allow yourself a little leniency from time to time and the other times, stick with the diet.  I stay on track the best I can 90% of the time so I can allow myself some room to live the other 10%.

Read more

A Full Day of Eating

full day of eating macros

This post may contain affiliate links which give me a small commission at no extra cost to you, and helps keep this content free! 

I thought it would be beneficial for you to see what a day of eating looks like for me.  I will do these often because I don’t eat the same things everyday.  Also, I am not a big planner at all.  I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal.  I don’t ever meal prep (not that it’s bad to do so, it just doesn’t work with my life). As long as I have macro friendly foods around, I can hit my macros. I know a lot of people have a hard time hitting their protein, so hopefully this will give you an idea of what it takes to hit your protein numbers.  To be honest, most days the hardest macro for me to hit is fat!  Weird I know!

Read more