Have you ever heard of a StepBet? I hadn’t either until a couple of months ago when I was introduced to it by someone I follow on Instagram. A StepBet is a challenge to hit a certain number of steps each day for 6 weeks. You wager some money ($40) and if at the end of the 6 weeks, you’ve hit your step goals each day, you get your money back plus you split the pot with the remaining contestants!
I just finished up my first StepBet and I really loved it! By the end of the 6 weeks, I was ready for a break but it really helped me move more and be more active. I went on walks with my husband or did a little extra cardio some days just to make sure I got my steps in. Some days I ended up walking circles around my house or walked in place while watching a movie. Whatever it took to get my steps in! Some days were easy and some days were hard just like with any challenge. But I’m not a quitter! And at the end, not only did I win my own money back, but I won a whole $6.50 by splitting the pot of whatever was left! Haha! My main motivation to keep going was not for the $6.50 that I won, but to not lose my $40!
It was a fun challenge and I enjoyed it so much, I have decided to host one of my own!
Some of the reasons I loved the StepBet were:
A- I moved more, burned more calories and was overall more active. I have a pretty sedentary job, working on a computer all day, so it was nice to have an excuse to make myself get up and move more!
B- Win a little extra cash. And by a little, I mean a little……Hahaha!!
C- You are in full control of your success! If you don’t want to lose your money, get your steps in. It’s that simple!
How does it work?
- It costs $40 to join.
- The game goes from January 1st to February 11th.
- Each week you have 4 active goal days, 2 stretch days and 1 rest day. Your goals are based on your previous step history and it isn’t so hard that it’s unattainable. It definitely made me move and walk more but I never felt like I couldn’t feasibly do it. And you can view your goals before joining the game so you know beforehand if it’s something you’ll be able to accomplish.
- The first week is a warm up week. Your goal is to get a feel for the game but no one will be disqualified the first week. However, for the other 5 weeks, if you don’t reach your goals, you will be disqualified and lose your money.
- You can use a fitness tracker to track your steps OR if you don’t have one, you can use your phone. There is a list of approved devices on their site if you need to see if you have the proper equipment to participate.
- At the end of the challenge, if you who hit your steps each day, you will get your $40 back PLUS a little extra!
So who’s in?
The challenge starts on January 1, 2018 and it is appropriately named New Year’s Resolutionists. It’s a great way to get motivated for the New Year and start off on the right foot (pun totally intended)!
So come play along! The more the merrier!
Here is the link to download the app and join the game OR download the StepBet app and type in the game code “resolutionists” to find the game. AND invite all of your friends and family to join itn too!
I can’t wait to see you there!
Edited to add: I don’t make any money off of this, it is just a fun way to get more active!