I am on vacation in Las Vegas right now with my husband. He’s here for work so I have some time alone and figured it was a great time to write a blog post! It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve been able to get a new post out because….life, so why not now when I have some free time!
Typically when I go on vacation, I don’t track my food. I have several reasons for this and I am going to explain why I’ve made this decision. This decision to not track food on vacation is a personal one and if you feel like it’s in your best interest to track your food while traveling, by all means do it! This is just my personal opinion and what I know works best for me.
- I only spend 3-4 weeks a year traveling and I want to enjoy it!
- I know the limited time I spend traveling, won’t ruin my progress if I don’t track my macros for those few weeks a year.
- It’s actually good physically and mentally, to take a diet break every now and again.
- I don’t want to drive my family crazy with having to eat perfect all the time while traveling. I do enough of that at home 😉
- I know myself well enough to know I can get right back on track when I get home.
- Sometimes you have to choose memories>macros.
- I want to enjoy the local food.
- It’s really hard to track perfectly on vacation because a lot of times you’re eating at unique restaurants that don’t have the macro counts in My Fitness Pal. Yes, you can enter everything in manually but I just choose not to.
- I really don’t want to bring some of my own food to make sure I stay on track. I want to just eat wherever we are and not stress about it.
- Not tracking on vacation actually helps me stay on track when at home. It’s an incentive to me to meet my macros at home knowing I have some non-tracking days to look forward too.
Now with that being said, I don’t like to feel crappy on vacation so I still eat mindfully and try to make healthy choices. I listen to my body and stop when I’m full. I don’t just go crazy and stuff everything I see in my mouth. I typically bring protein bars with me for breakfast because I’ve never been a big breakfast eater AND it saves us money! I make sure I drink a lot of water and I ALWAYS work out on vacation. I know I feel so much better if I get my workout in. If the hotel has a gym I use it and if not, my husband and I go for a run outside. Even if it’s just a short one. I make a priority to workout and I am always so glad I do.
This is a short post today but I just wanted to point out that it’s ok to not be “perfect” 100% of the time. It’s ok to go on vacation and enjoy the time with your family and the food. Make sure you don’t go off the rails and that you’re able to get back on track when you get home but it’s so good mentally to take a break every once in a while. I have actually gone on vacation, ate mindfully but not tracked and came home and had lost weight. Sometimes your body just needs a reset.