in this I’m taking a break from my regularly scheduled health and fitness posts to talk about something that is on my mind as well as probably everyone else’s right now.
On Sunday night, 22,000 people were enjoying a concert in Las Vegas when a man shot and killed 58 people and wounded 527 others. It is being said that this is the worst mass shooting in the entire history of the United States.
My heart is absolutely broken for the victims and their families. I have been reading the news nonstop the last few days and it tears me up to read the stories of the victims. So many lives senselessly taken for no reason. And this didn’t need to happen. Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers, Sons, Daughters, Wives and Husbands. These victims families will never see them again in this life and it’s heartbreaking. My biggest fear in life is losing my husband or one of my children. I can’t even imagine.
But out of the horror comes something else. One evil man may have taken all of those lives, but the stories of the heroes, the ones who stayed back or helped others while putting their lives in danger, are absolutely amazing! You never know what you’ll do in a situation like this or how you’ll react but I think we can all agree, that there is a lot more good in this world then there is evil.
I read a post on Facebook yesterday that really touched me and inspired me to write this blog post. It was about fighting hate with love and doing one random act of kindness in honor of each victim who died on Sunday. I myself am planning on doing this with my family. Love combats hate. Love ALWAYS wins. And while unfortunately we can’t do anything to change this horrible act of evil, we can spread love to the world and help make it a better place.
Sadly, this will happen again. We all know it will. But if you can do anything at all, start with you. Start with your family. Will any of these things change the world on their own? No, but it’s a start. Anything good we can put out in the world right now, is exactly what we need to do.
I challenge you to do this with your own family. And if you can’t do all 58 acts of kindness, just do a few. Do what you can. Make your own list and start putting good into the world.
Below is a list I have come up with of some random acts of kindness. Some of the acts are big and some are small. Do what you can. You never know who you will impact. Even a smile can change someones day.
58 Acts of Kindness for 58 Victims
- Take cookies to a neighbor
- Pay for the person behind you in the drive thru line
- Write a letter to a grandparent and mail it
- Volunteer at your kids school
- Smile at everyone you see for a whole day
- Compliment a stranger
- Compliment a friend
- Take food to a homeless person
- Add a tip to a tip jar
- Let someone ahead of you in line
- Leave a sticky note with a positive message on a public restroom mirror
- Do a chore for a sibling anonymously
- Babysit for a neighbor for free
- Adopt a rescue animal
- Plant a tree
- Donate toys or blankets to a children’s hospital
- Put away someones shopping cart for them
- Leave a gift for someone on their porch
- Leave a nice note on someones car
- Send a care package to a soldier
- Take a treat to the fire station
- Donate supplies to an animal shelter
- Donate food to the food bank
- Visit someone who is lonely or sick
- Pull weeds for a neighbor
- Volunteer at the soup kitchen
- Volunteer to walk dogs at the animal shelter
- Make homeless kits and take them around
- Go visit your grandparents
- Donate money to hurricane relief fund
- Donate your talents (free photography, piano lessons for low income child etc.)
- Leave inspirational note in a library book.
- Participate in a fundraiser
- Pick up garbage in the park
- Tape quarters to the vending machine for someone to use
- Take someone to lunch that you haven’t seen in a while
- Talk to a homeless person and have an actual conversation with them
- Take a neighbors dog for a walk
- Give a generous tip
- Donate blood
- Donate clothes and toys to foster care center
- Take misplaced carts back to the stall
- Visit a nursing home and play games with the residents
- Help someone change a flat tire
- Offer your seat on the bus/train to someone
- Heart attack someone’s door (tape notes with loving messages to their door and leave a treat)
- Help someone move
- Rake someone’s leaves
- Say hi to strangers
- Buy lemonade from a lemonade stand
- Leave coins in an expired meter
- Drop quarters on the ground for someone to find
- Take in the neighbors garbage can
- Hold the door for someone
- Go to a marathon and cheer people on
- Send a thank you gift to a past teacher who influenced your life
- Pay for someones groceries
- Donate your hair to locks of love
I hope this list sparked some ideas for you while making a list of your own. I’m going to sit down and pick some things off this list to do with my family. I plan on doing 58 random acts of kindness but they won’t be all of these things on this list. These are just ideas. It’s ok to duplicate some of them too, which is what I will do because none of us have enough hair to donate and we definitely aren’t adopting another pet right now. 😉
Much love my friends. Together let’s make this world a better place!